Re-vitalising the blog
code for all portal pages
- give all block titles the link of the first p a:href within the block or first with a titleLink class
Posted by PeterT on 01 Jun 2012
In this first post in our revitalized blog I thought I should update you on what is happening with Vital as we move into our third phase. Yes, we have funding from the DfE for another year (taking us to the 31st March 2013). Happily, we are no longer trying to become self-funding, which means we can go back to truly collaborating with other providers of support to schools. Here are the things we are focusing on as we move forward.
- Supporting our In-house Professional Development Partners – we have sold over 150 In-house Professional Development Partnerships (IPDPs), who we intend to provide with superb support as they roll out the programme. To that end we will be appointing two Vital National Advisors from September.
- Extending the reach of our Subject and Special Interest Portals – the number of subscribers to our Portals is growing rapidly, but still represents a tiny proportion of teachers in England (yet alone the English speaking world). To help extend our reach we are offering significant discounts on ‘bulk purchases’ of Portal Subscriptions.
- Developing the Education Futures Evidence Hub – a vehicle to engage practitioners, academics, commercial folk and policy makers in sharing evidence about what works (and what doesn’t) in education. To be honest the current user interface is unusable, so we have delayed the public launch of the Evidence Hub until September.
Publishing Vital Guides on topics such as:
- Moving to the cloud
- Responsible use policies for mobile devices (inc. phones)
- Setting up a Digital Leaders programme
- Implementing a school/community radio station
- 1:1 computing
- Bring you own device (BYOD)
- bring your own technology (BYOT)
If you know of schools that are implementing any of these things then we would love to hear about them. Our plan is to collect evidence about what works and what doesn’t from a range of schools who have practical experience of the topic and then pull out key strategic advice for others to benefit from.
- ‘Franchising’ the In-house Professional Development Partnership model, so that other people can use the model and materials that we have created free of charge. We are currently thinking about how we need to change the materials so that they work face-to-face and without Vital’s infrastructure. Find out more about the IPDP and let us know if you are interested in using the materials.
- Stirring the pot re the ‘ICT Curriculum’ – expect further posts on this subject in the near future!
- Preparing a website strategy to ensure the ongoing availability and updating of the Portals from the 1st April 2013. Our preferred option being that the Portals should be taken over by a consortium who will make them available free of charge and ensure that they are maintained and updated.